View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2019, 5:30 pm   #42
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Single-ended Transistor amps.

I remember a series on TV where some celebrities brought in a collection of ingredients and two celebrity chefs attempred to make appropriately impressive meals out of them.

Sometimes the ingredients were thought out for some intended objective, other times they were seemingly random and intended to really test the chefs.

It can be fun to do electronics that way.

One year at George Dobbs' QRP Christmas party, a bunch of us decided to just make a simple transceiver using what was lying around. We cheated with a sig gen as LO (Marconi TF166G that I'd rebuilt years earlier) A couple of schottky diodes would make a mixer, but we needed a transformer. Was there a 'surplus ferret core' lying around anywhere? "I've got something over here..." replied George. Digging behind the filing cabinet supporting the parish photocopier, he pulled out an animal stole. Animal species undetermined, but long and slender. Two of the little devils joined end to end, as if one had stopped too suddenly in a burrow and been tail-ended by the other. The composite hilariously had three pairs of legs. He explained it was left over after a parish jumble sale. I could understand why it hadn't sold!

Anyway, we rolled it into a circle about 18" diameter and made a winding using it as a core.

A computer speaker did the audio section.

Yes, it received, with the coil resonated. We got a couple of QSOs into holland.

Fun? Yes, lots!

Did the PA station believe our description of what we were using?

Objet-trouve radio! So why not audio?

David