Thread: End of an era.
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2018, 2:32 pm   #149
linescan87
Heptode

Default Re: End of an era.

I spent the last six weeks in the shop on my days off from work (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) helping to clear it ready to hand back to the landlord. I must have dumped what would have been thousands of pounds worth of stock. Door seals for washing machines, vacuum cleaner bags, parts, etc. The local white goods man who John supplied for years was given the belts and carbons.

These were offered back to the suppliers, who wouldn't even take them back for free. Also offered them to other white goods suppliers, not interested, said they couldn't even move what they had. What does this tell you?

Business wasn't all that bad for John even in the end and had he owned the premises he would have been in a great position, but how long do you keep going? There was 6 years left on the lease and I think he was afraid he would end up on a walking frame shuffling around the shop, so when the offer came he was glad to walk away.

I'm reminded of an article about a man on college street in Dublin who lived over his shop the "Irish yeast company" he was in his early nineties and opened the shop for a few hours everyday. He told the writer he had hardly taken in 100 euro in the last six months, it was just something too do. Google will take you to the article, its quite interesting. I see the place is for sale now, he must be in a home now.

John Joe.