View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2018, 11:01 am   #16
Station X

Default Re: Miller Organs from Norwich

I write only about the Grace's Guide advert linked to in post #9. This gives an address of Osborne Buildings, Timber Hill, Norwich. This clearly indicates that Osborne Buildings was "on" or if you like "off" Timber Hill.

Turning to "Kelly's Directory of Norfolk" dated 1900, this gives the following info:-

Timber Hill street,

EAST SIDE

2. Barker Mrs Angus registry office for servants.
2. Field Frederick, wood carver Palmer Thomas, smith.
4. Gardeners' Arms Public House Edward Wickham.
6. Browne Charles Frederick Hair Dresser. *
8. Bamber John, boot and shoe manufacturer.
10. Day Mrs Mary, greengrocer.
.......here is Osborne Square..........
12. Smith John, china dealer.
14. Mounser William, cutler.
........here is Mounser's yard........

* I remember this as a Fishing Tackle shop.

I think we can safely assume that Osborne Square and Osborne Buildings are the same place.

The Gardeners' Arms still exists and provides a useful datum point. Nowadays it is more commonly known as The Murder's Arms. It has been extended into the building next door (No. 6 and 8) which can clearly be identified by the jutting out upper floor with its three windows.

So by using Google Street View, George Plunkett's photographs and your large scale map you should be able to fix exactly where Osborne Buildings were.

Whether the company moved after 1949 and where to I don't know. Kelly's Directories were published up to the mid 1960's and may give the answer, as also will Norwich Telephone Area Telephone Directories covering the period up to the company's demise. The company may well have advertised in ecclesiastical journals.

I'd be grateful for any information regarding the Triton Hill address. I've never heard of it and can find no other references to it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.