View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2018, 9:27 am   #15
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: National hamfest, 28-29 September

Quote:
Can I ask if this is what used to be the Leicester Rally?
Leicester amateur radio show was presented and run by the Leicester Amateur Radio Show Committee afaik. The team with the maroon coloured blazers. Obviously, RSGB had a presence there.
Seymour Halls exhibition , London was staged by the RSGB in the 60s, when I first attended.
In the 70s the RSGB had an exhibition at Alexandra Palace.
I went to a show at NEC iirc this was staged by RSGB? 1990s?

For many years the Lincoln Shortwave Club staged their annual rally at the Lincolnshire showground. Then it was moved to Newark, I think probably due to ever increasing hire cost at the showground. This was at first in a much smaller basic building near the road entrance. Then the current George Stephenson building was used, like this weekend.
I do not remember quite when the RSGB became associated with LSWC In presenting what is now called the National Hamfest.
I think the reason was the rally/show was becoming a huge financial risk undertaking for a local radio club.
These days it is now known as National Hamfest.
National Hamfest (Lincoln) Ltd is a not for profit company that has been set up to manage the National Hamfest. It co-ordinates the volunteer Lincolnshire (and other helpers?)club members and any surplus is shared between them. This seems to work well for the benefit of everyone.

It was nice to meet some friends from Lincoln, Spalding and Grantham clubs who volunteered, often over several days. I apologise if I have omitted naming other helping organisations, but those are representative faces I knew personally.
It was a privilege to once again shake the hand of John Birkett and have a quick chat.
In all, a most enjoyable day on Friday and imho the smoothest run so far.
All the volunteers did a great job, thank you.
Rob