View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 7:20 pm   #18
pmmunro
Octode

Default Re: 13 amp plug question

Quote:
It's a shame historic BSs aren't available online, as they'd make interesting reading for us.

Nick.
Nick,

I had occasion to try to get hold of a copy of the original version of BS 1363 in connection with a campaign against these unnecessary plug covers sold, allegedly, to make sockets safe (www.fatallyflawed.org.uk) where you will find quite a lot on the history of this standard.

I called BSI and was told that old versions of the standards are available but are chargeable, I think the price quoted was half the cost of the current standard. I'm afraid that my view is that the cost of standards is prohibitive and so counterproductive. It's something of an anomaly that statutes often quote British Standards and are freely available but the standards are made largely inaccessible to the general public. Even municipal libraries do not always keep a full range because of cost.

The Home Office regulations quoted by Emeritus should be in the National Archives if anyone lives nearby and is interested enough. The GEC catalogue, and other editions, are available in the IET (IEE) archives I believe.

PMM