View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2020, 2:38 pm   #6
Ewasterecycling
Diode

Default Re: Teleprinters - repair tips and servicing

That was a lucky break. I guess pendants or jewelry too could be another major hazard.

Reminds me of a photocopier that came in with a 'paper feed jam' error but was scrapped by the company as there was no jammed paper visible and they'd spent an entire morning thus trying to get it working again, but no joy so then gave up and considered the machine u/s, and thus totally broken!

Turned out to be a small tooth broken off from one of the internal gears, but on operation the microprocessor detected the sudden stopping of motion (as the chip always re-jammed into the cog, and so shut down everything.

The nice copier (thus fixed) was offered back to them but by then they'd bought another machine - however their secretary admitted that from the old machine she once had a 100 page document to process in the ADF tray (so everything could be loaded and in theory left for the machine to copy the entire stack), but it was usual just to stand by it... just to be sure that any sheets didn't jam up and/or thus mess up the copy process.

While waiting she had the idea..... well, why not attend to her rather damaged nails (as she wasn't supposed to do things like that at her desk!) but unfortunately then dropped the sanding strip into the copier's ADF tray... and as quick as a flash the strip now on the upper sheet, disappeared into the machine's mechanism!

Luckily for her once again the processor detected it and stopped the machine immediately.

She told me that she was quietly able to extract the offending sanding strip, (somewhat bent, but maybe reusable at a later date!) and resume coping again without anyone else in the office realising what had just happened.

Makes one wonder though how many accidents were indeed caused by teleprinters in offices.

There was a company years back called Wang Computers who used to rent and service slightly more modern telex systems and an engineer once told me that someone had failed to switch their machine off (or even 'offline' as they usually went into a static standby when idle) when the classic red stripe appeared on the paper (showing it was about to end) and was in the process of actually changing the roll having lifted up the soundproof lid.... when without warning having detected an incoming message, the machine suddenly fired up.
No injury caused, but again it could have been nasty if anyone was changing paper and the platen roller started line feeding what was thus then no paper, but could have been dragging in long hair.