View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2020, 10:01 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Sony KV-1300E: Incorrect colour decoding

You are asking a lot when feeding a TV designed to work from a technically perfect PAL encoder to display You Tube or for that matter a Chromecast or any device where a HDMI source is encoded using a $0.1 chip.

My experience when using a DVD player with an extenal RF modulator and an internally RF modulated DVB set top box is that the Sony non PAL decoder requires resetting for each source and, in the case of the DVB box, often needs the tint control to be adjusted on a programme or even scene change. The set top box is encoding a digital display which unlike the DVD player has no PAL encoding at all.

Before I got out the soldering iron, I would start with either a DVD player with a composite video out feeding a RF modulator or better still a Video Recorder. Both of which will produce an acceptable PAL encoded signal. I note that you mention using such but I'm unclear what the results were.

I would be very careful using trial and error repairs to the TV. The Sony Service Manual shows the waveforms expected when a PAL encoded colour bar is input and whilst obvious problems such as blown elelectrolytics or corroded legs on transistors have been mentioned on this site, I've never found the problem to be so obvious.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 18th Sep 2020 at 10:10 am.