View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2020, 9:56 am   #3
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Op-Amp RIAA Preamp with Tone Controls - Help!

Hi David, thanks for the reply, and helpful explanation of the negative feedback implementation. The cartridge I am using is a Chuo Denki YM-118, also listed as CEC MC-11 and Harksound 8001. I can still get replacement stylii but there is no data anywhere on this cartridge (it came fitted to my Thorens TD150 Mk II turntable). I have seen it described as "piezo" but that is wrong because it is definitely magnetic having dc resistances of 387R and 394R. I suspect it is a moving magnet type. However, without any data, I cannot find exactly what impedance I should be matching it to. The old version of my preamp is attached and the performance using the same cartridge was excellent with plenty of bass and treble lift (I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it). I guess if push comes to shove I can update the old circuit to split-rail which would perhaps improve noise performance to some degree by removing the offset resistors. With the new circuit I'm getting enough gain to drive the PA which is a valve unit with push-pull EL34s, ECC83 phase splitter and triode-connected EF86 pre-amp. Any further advice much appreciated. Cheers, Jerry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RIAA Pre-Amp (Old).pdf (83.2 KB, 96 views)