View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2019, 9:45 pm   #32
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: MK14 programming interface - MK2

Quote:
Your and KarenO's Cassette / RS232 save trick
That was entirely and only Karen's idea - I just had an MK14 to try it out on.

I have to admit my thinking, once you discovered that the JMP board had different connections, was that most people are only ever going to have one MK14 in their life, so the idea was to keep the interface that they would have to build for their particular variant as simple as possible. If you have an 'Original' or presumably a 'Martin', build it one way: If you have a JMP, build it the other way.

However, the idea of fully expanding the range of optos to at least 14 or more is a good one and not just because it would create the possibility of a soft-selectable interface which works with both variants, as you say: It means that the same interface can be used to upload to virtually any sort of retro system with a matrix keypad, an idea originally mooted by forum member GrahamN (who also has a JM replica). You could use that one multi purpose interface with utilities similar to send14 but tailored for other systems, imagine 'sendacorn1' or 'sendkim1'. I don't propose to take this very much further myself, but the idea / project is public domain, I have no problem with anyone else taking it and running with it and making it better / more versatile or even producing and selling a nice PCB for the interface (in which case, please sell me one!).

I was thinking earlier about what might have caused you to have to slow the uploader down and it occurred to me that probably the biggest potential difference between any two machines (in terms of timing) might be the value of the reset capacitor - not the marked value, the actual value. Electrolytic capacitors have a very wide variation in tolerance. If your machine happens to take longer to come up out of reset than mine, then with the timing optimised for mine the script might have been starting to send the code before yours had had time to come back up out of reset. I was going to suggest that you disconnect the reset opto from the MK14, then gradually turn those values back down to the smallest which worked (manually resetting before each upload) and then reconnect the reset output of the interface to the MK14.

If that stopped it from working again, it would strongly suggest that the script was not allowing enough time between reset-release and the onset of the actual code upload. But once again, you seem to be one step ahead.