View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2004, 1:07 pm   #1
Ghostuser
Pentode

Default Success with Waterslide transfers.

I have folowed the advice in the forum and successfully used transparent ink jet waterslide paper to make a transfer for the back of a 1938 Rola speaker. First, I scanned the old transfer on the speaker. Then I cleaned up the image (it took ages because it was pretty well shot) using photo editing software. The background to the original logo was gold, which I cannot print with an ink jet. I therefore removed the gold from the image, by filling the area with white. I then had an image with only the black and red lettering present, from which I made a new transfer. I masked the back of the speaker, having already resprayed the frame black, and sprayed the area for the transfer with gold. Finally, I put the transfer onto the gold area and it looks super. I will do the same with a 'Bush' cabinet logo which similarly had a gold background. Thanks to all for the info on waterslide paper. It is wonderful.
One hint - The instructions advise painting the area for the transfer with dilute PVA adhesive. I have found that it is necessary to add a trace of washing up liquid to the PVA to get it to wet the surface properly. I did this with a plastic model of Concorde, which has zillions of weeny transfers and they seem to have stuck very well.
Nigel