Thread: Roberts R707
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2018, 5:49 pm   #11
FiveBobRepairs
Triode

Default Re: Roberts R707

Good point about the tin whiskers in AC128 etc. The AF11*s seem to better known for whiskers but from a quick search of these forums and elsewhere confirms you are of course right, the others grow them too. I have never witnessed it myself in AC128 etc, but my experience is very limited, restricted to just a few restorations. Maybe I’ll have a prod around my collection, should be easy enough to just check for unexpected connections to the cans, without any dismantling.

Just prior to the R707 I fixed up an R700, three AF11* were shorted, I replaced the lot. I am actually undecided about which one was harder. The R707 was tough in my case, but then the IF module did have to come out three times, which maybe coloured my opinion. Only by the third time around, had I worked out how to remove it without removing the switch pcb.

Have to say I am in no doubt about the sound quality, compared to R700. R700 is good, and maybe looks more modern (though it’s not), but R707 is better sounding to my ear. In fact quite splendid, by any measure.