View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2016, 9:41 am   #9
Jim Butterworth
Diode

Default Re: Which is the best performing 4 valve+rec. receiver?

I see the rare Philips 735a is very well discussed above by Chris Parry who unfortunately is no longer a member but obviously knows these sets well. It is the only reference to the 735A I can find on the internet.

Typical Philips - and a rival to their weird Monoknob and Motor-tuned sets for mechanical complexity. As other manufacturers have discovered, it is not all that difficult to connect a knob, pointer and capacitor together - but Philips relegated a generation of Service Engineers to hours of frustration trying to repair the mechanical side of their otherwise excellent sets.

For my sins, I have one of these nightmares - it is complete, dusty and unrestored. Before I tackle the restoration:

1. Does anyone know what the special tuning tool (that should fit in the hole in the back) looks like?
2. Is there a source of circular rubber masks for the unique EFM1 magic eye to give a sporting chance of being able to see its display?
3. Should the tuning knob extend outward by spring so it stands well proud of the front of the set? It won't slide back in and lock so is very vulnerable.