View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2018, 6:20 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default My WADAR Amp - a few mysteries

Well, it must have been the heat on Sunday but I succumbed to a nice-looking "WADAR" amp in the auction. Actually I thought £130 was a very reasonable price for such a piece of Gerry Wells history.

Having got it home I started to look more closely. It does not have the signature "can" over the mains transformer (so no WADAR logo), and there seems to be a new Hammond mains transformer, and a smaller 5V Hammond under the deck, feeding the PEN45s via a dropper on each channel. The old mounting holes for the can are there, with flaked paint so it was probably removed at some point. (Shame it's not still with the amp).

Are these just replacements or would there have been any reason to do this originally? From the very helpful pictures on the front and back cover of the Autumn 2015 Bulletin, there's a lot more under the chassis on mine, and the grounding buses are a lot less tidily laid out. The output and rectifier valves in mine are in a straight line, unlike the Bulletin photo.

I can't find any circuits or specs other than the single page on the BVWM website. Any help gratefully received.

Mine has a single pair of phono input terminals (Gold - very non-Gerry) on the side, but still seems to have the dual input volume controls of the original.
There's an IEC on a plate on the back and the chassis looks deeper front to back. The output transformers are Danbury (correct, I think), connected in simple push-pull (despite ultra-linear taps).

Photos are attached.

So, do I have a (modified) WADAR or possibly a clone?

Any information (previous owners?). Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3622.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	165850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3623.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	165851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3624.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	165852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3625.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	165853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3626.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	165854  

Last edited by Pamphonica; 10th Jul 2018 at 6:25 pm.