View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2019, 1:37 pm   #39
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: 1971 Philips G6.

My saturday job used to be going to the local second hand TV shop and going through and repairing the ex-rental 22" single standard G6s, as the shop owner was a salesman, not an engineer. Mind you, neither was his engineer!
I learnt about the 'rule of dust' there - if a chassis was thick with dust it was probabaly a changeover set with little or no faults. A suspiciously clean chassis usually meant it had spent more time in the workshop than with a customer.
I learnt some sharp business tricks there too. The shop sold to both the public and trade. One day a man came in and looked at a nice 511 on display. He said he was in the trade (which he clearly wasn't) and demanded a trade discount. A substantial amount was knocked off, and the man, smiling inwardly, almost ran to get his car. Once he was out of the shop I was summoned. 'Quick - give me a hand with this!'. The excellent G6 was hidden on the rack and an identical rogue set put in its place. As the man returned, the set was being switched off and wipled over, and we put it in his car.
Needless to say he was soon back threatening all sorts of legal action. 'But you're in the trade, sir, so you must know you buy it as you see it with no warranty!'