Thread: CB spares
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2019, 9:27 pm   #23
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: CB spares

The displays arrived today. I was about to set about metering out the pinout and then it dawned on me: Which way is 'up'? If a 7-segment display has decimal points then you can always be sure that the display should be oriented with the point(s) at the bottom. No decimal point on these, so...(?)

Nothing for it but to take one of my Cybernets apart: The first image shows what a good match these TR321OFs are for size. The number of pins / pin spacing is also the same. Hopefully you can also see in that image that there is an orientation mark, an indentation, in the centre of the lower edge of both displays. This is also just about visible in the second image of the TR321OF display only.

Third image: The pinout of the TR321OF display seen from the rear with the orientation mark downwards. The two centre bottom pins are the common anodes - in the radio these two pins are connected together. I've only shown the front view of one of the two characters on the display. The references such as 'a(L)' and 'a(R)' mean 'Segment a, left character' and 'Segment a, right character' and so on.

I didn't go so far as to swap one of the displays into the radio but I did 'buzz out' the pinout of the radio's display and it is exactly the same. Based on this, I'm prepared to say that these TR321OF displays should be a drop in replacement for a RED Cybernet channel display in a typical 'standard sized' Cybernet radio.

(Bear in mind of course that the smaller Cybernets such as the Cybernet 1000 / 2000 used a smaller display).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cybernet_Led_Comparison.jpg.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	192403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Led_Orientation.jpg.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	192404   Click image for larger version

Name:	TR321_Led.jpg
Views:	172