View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2020, 7:18 pm   #16
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: 'Ferrite Pot Core Pairs'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
Thanks for the thoughts - and for that Manhattan delight!

I'm afraid about 3/4 of what you wrote went over my head with a great whooshing sound. I can follow the circuit as I read the accompanying text, but I haven't yet reached the stage where I can explain it to someone else.

I hope they've considered the exploding aspect, as they do make some effort to drive home the safety aspect of the design!

Are any of your box parts suitable for this? I can't see that it's too critical as it's just a step up transformer as far as I can see...not exactly a phono coupling stage!

I'm impressed at the level of ingenuity here. For those of us not trained in electronics, the ability to fashion a useful circuit from scratch is quite awesome.

I've had a look for "FT82-43" and end up with some ferrite rings. Are you proposing I just wrap the wire around that and let it be, without the associated surrounds, pins and cores?
Mostly me ranting about the exploding fragility of MOSFETs

Anything will probably do the job here. I'm not sure if any of the parts I listed were good. I don't have data for them off the job of my head. I can probably find out but am unfortunately stuck in a hotel on my laptop at the moment

On the FT82-43, yes you pretty much just wrap the wire around it. The toroidal cores confine the majority of the magnetic field inside the core which means a lot of shielding isn't required. On low power ones i usually just use a glue gun to stick them to the board. I've made a few like that as they are cheap and easy to reproduce. After digging around in the bowels of this laptop i found a picture of a simple bipolar supply which was made using a Royer oscillator and an FT82-43. This was specified as 5v in (from USB charger) to +/-15V for an opamp circuit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	198245

These things are repeatable and available in vast numbers for not a lot of money and are quite useful (you can run coax through them a couple of times to make RFI filters too)