Thread: HDMI Aurora
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2014, 4:11 pm   #16
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: HDMI Aurora

I have an HDMI to scart box (ViewHD branded). It outputs composite 576i 50hz, as well as left and right audio. Unfortunately no RGB however, and I haven't found any which do that yet. Until RGB ones are available, the highest quality picture won't be available - and it's difficult to say how much of the loss of definition is down to the HDMI to analogue conversion, or just from the composite signal itself. Still, it's a functional device that does a lot and mostly does it well. The picture and sound are in sync, colours are good, and generally the picture is ok. Text and fine lines suffer a bit however.

You can supply it with various resolutions from devices, but where possible, 720p is better than 1080p I think. Thin horizontal lines can flicker on the higher resolution.

I'm pleased enough with it for the price, but I do know HD to analogue can be done with excellent results. My Humax YouView box downscales all the HD freeview channels and on demand content to PAL, RGB scart output, and it looks great on my set. Based on this, I expect the next generation of HDMI to analogue converters may be better.

Last edited by Okto1984; 26th Dec 2014 at 4:16 pm.