View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2023, 11:50 pm   #3
John M1JWR
Pentode

Default Re: Kenwood ts50 faulty

hi sirius
theres a story to tell here as i have discovered, i used the bench psu because i knew that it would shut down if something iffy happened or something unexpected, i thought there would be no output going by the owners discription of what has happened and if there was smoke then whats knackered is knackered, but the radio used amps so that was unexpected, so off with the lids, somebody has changed the memory battery and its had a mars mod its had a diode cut and a plastic sheath put over the cut end, all good there, had a look at some of those smd caps that are known to leak out especially the one on the front panel, trx bench has done some major repairs in that area on other radios, this one is lucky no leaks....yet ! at the back end where the antenna goes in there is a board with lots of coils, cant remember what its called, and under that
there is the tx board, thets where the problem should be, so removed the top one and checked the tx board, no black areas no smells nothing, checked the drivers with meter all seem ok, wasent 100% shure about one of the 2sc3133's, but was hopeful enough to put it back together and try on the main psu, palstar ps30m, i think if i used it first there would be no give with that one, turned the ts50 down to 10w setting as i only have a 20w dummy load 27.555 fm keyed the mike and stable 10 output, am about 6w and swings upto around 10w and usb will do the same with more voice, well whats going on here then, rang him up and told him the radio works at least on 10w via my testing anyway, i will think of a way to test with 50w at the weekend, colt black shadow has been on sometimes recently monitoring super bowl so its still going strong