View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2023, 12:29 am   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Uher Royal Stereo 784

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbiscuits View Post
Thank you David. Any clue if the inputs are separate L & R? Given it's a 4 track.

As for the post of Analogue man, I do know how tape echo works. That's why I'm intrigued by this unit as I never came accross one that has this built in. Speaking of the number of heads, it seems this one has four of them? See image attached. This is another reason why this recorder got my attention so much. Is the forth one a playback head or just a tape guide that looks like a head?
It is a stereo machine with quarter track heads. This means that each track takes up just under a quarter of the width of the tape but you can only access two of the tracks in each direction. To record/play the other 2 tracks you have to turn the tape over.

The 5 pin DIN connectors will have separate pins for the left and right signals but you will need to buy/make up breakout cables if you want to send different sources to each channel.

The head to the right of the capstan is likely to be a narrow track head which is used to read or write a slide synchronisation signal. Quite a few machines have space for such a head but very few actually have that head fitted.