View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2011, 4:36 pm   #51
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

Hi,

Begging the moderator’s indulgence I would like to add additional information regarding finishing with French polish.

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve been restoring a clock case for a very good friend and think the method I used for finishing might encourage others to have a go at French polishing because this method cuts out the use of the traditional polishing rubber relying only on brush work that anyone could do.

I did the usual repairs including extensive re-veneering then brought the case to the staining stage adding Vandyke brown water based stain I mixed at home. Once the stain had dried the case was lightly gone over with fine abrasive paper and dusted off.

Using a No.2 fan brush thick Garnet shellac was applied taking a lot of care to put this on quickly and as evenly as possible; two such coats were added on the first day. After drying overnight the shellac was gently flatted with fine abrasive paper (800 grit) to remove nibs then another three heavy brush coats of shellac were added during the day.

The shellac was allowed to dry for a full two days in a warm place then I changed my method of work. I had been watching an excellent “you tube” video showing how a guy brushed on shellac then flatted as I had done but then he went directly on to using wire wool (0000 grade) lubricated with wax polish to give a hand rubbed finish which looked superb.

This of course is a very old method and I tried it many years ago failing miserably ending up with deep scratches in the surface imparted by the wire wool which I found uncontrollable and have not tried it again until now.

On the main case I brought the shellac to a mirror finish by using a traditional polishing rubber. As I looked at the gleaming surface I thought how out of place it appeared and it was shouting at me that this was way over the top for a genuine antique clock case; it was saying look at me I’ve just been french polished!!

After my previous failure in hand rubbing a finish but encouraged by the video I thought I would try once again after all I could always flat the case and add more shellac if I failed again. I had used the wax previously but thought I would experiment and decided to use liquid paraffin as a lubricant. I used the wire wool directly in my fingers adding the liquid paraffin and was amazed by the result.

Finally to the important part that should help other members who are afraid of using a polishing rubber in fact to achieve a beautiful hand rubbed finish is incredibly easy as follows.

Do the usual basic work bringing the case to the point of adding shellac. Apply a number of coats of shellac taking care to get it on evenly without runs and allowing it to harden for at least two days once the final coat has been added.

Now go straight on to flatting and using wire wool and liquid paraffin; I added an overhead spot lamp and for the first time ever I could actually see what I was doing whilst working on the door. I was seated in comfort at the bench and took my time to very gently flat one of the door rails using 1200 grit wet or dry abrasive paper holding the paper in my fingers and working with it dry. As the paper became coated new paper was used; all the while much care was being exercised not to cut through to bare timber on edges. Next I went over with wire wool lubricated with liquid paraffin. At first I was very timid and kept wiping with a clean soft cloth to check progress but after a short while the stile had been rubbed to a beautiful satin finish; the rest of the door was completed in like manner. Where angles and corners were encountered I used my finger nails whilst flatting with the paper and rubbing with the wire wool taking care not to press too hard.

To finish; the door was buffed with a dry soft cloth revealing a surface that just asked to be stroked. This door was completed without having to use a french polishing rubber and the finish was so easy to achieve.

This finish would suit many radio or TV cabinets and is a joy to behold. Please look at the images because you too could achieve such a result by having a go.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top panel.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	55898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clock base..jpg
Views:	413
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	55899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door in Vandyke brown stain..jpg