View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2019, 10:58 pm   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Matt nickel plating?

I'm considering the nickel/vinegar plating method for the head mounting plate for the Ferrograph I have a thread on in the 'tape' section.

I have some nickel pieces for providing the metal, an ancient DC supply and a mask, so I'm just wondering about the scratches left from some dodgy head positioning, and whether I should copper-plate and polish them out first. I understand the plating will not fill any scratches, and actually make them more obvious.

The remnant for the process I'm considering is nickel acetate, which is not very nice and I was concerned about disposal. However, after a few calls to Cornwall Council and a long chat with the top brass at waste disposal, they said it was fine to dispose of it in a sealed, labelled container at the household waste recycling centre's chemical shed. I checked, as in this case it will be a jam jar or similar, rather than a pre-bought bottle of chemical, and was told that as long as it's sealed and labelled they don't require a certain type of container.

Whether I can be bothered to do the plating as the next task, or would prefer to get the machine back together to see if it works first, remains to be seen.