View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2019, 9:29 am   #14
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: 12 Inch Colour TV's.

I hadn't thought of the "smaller space" angle Richard but I don't know whether it would have applied in the same way with the the more recent FS technology I thought [in 82] that the high price either reflected a limited production rate/demand or some sort of opportunism. I still paid up though and got a few decades out of the set, so like my £200 Sony Walkman Recorder [which lasted for two decades] the relative cost actually reduced with each year .

My recollection is that [of course] most people wanted the biggest [21"] option. I think the JVC was the first set I actually bought. In the previous decade it had seemed better to rent and I had a very affordable package from Granada TV Rental [not the Broadcaster for those unfamiliar with the North of England] consisting of a Finlandia Colour TV bundled with VCR, that seemed to be very luxurious then. I was delighted to find that the VCR enabled me to "dub in" sound as well. This was useful when I had some 8mm film footage transferred Video Tape at a shop in Bury.

There was a very great advantage to "brand new " rentals in those days, as economies of scale also meant there was no risk. You got up-dates on new models and instant repair or replacement if anything failed. If you wanted to buy it was a big investment only undertaken by the "well heeled" with severe repair costs always a possibility.

Dave W

"Hit The North" Marc E Smith-The Fall !
[Now dead a year already]