View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2018, 5:47 am   #17
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery View Post
Thanks for the write up.
I remember seeing this actual set before I think. It did look a mess.
You may well have done. I'm reliably informed it was at NVCF in 2014.

Quote:
Great job and nice to see a set on my wish list saved. The A56V just performs really well for a pre-war set and it looks quite futuristic for its day.
Thanks for the nice comments, from someone who has done such wonderful results, it is really appreciated.

I must admit I really like the look of the A56V, fantastic styling from Murphy as always, even though they were constrained to get it into the £30 "budget" pricing (as we'd called it today, £30 for an attractive telly with a 9" tube, when the competition could only manage 5", which having restored such a 5" HMV 904 I know how underwhelming it actually is, its like watching a postage stamp. I know what I'd have bought for my £30).

As far as performance goes, it's really very good, lots of gain, so much so it is easy to overload the stages with the Aurora box. They only used one valve (double diode with separate cathode) for sync separation, but the sync is snap-on, with very good lock. Though of course with a directly connected Aurora box, it has ideal input, with no signal fading.

I had very little problems getting it up and running after putting it all back together, no fiddly nasty problems to diagnose at all.

I don't want to sound bombastic or overly pleased with myself (please tell me if I ever do, because it's a mistake), but I am glad I gave it a chance, it's definitely become my favourite pre-war television.