View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2020, 1:15 am   #113
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Identifying radiogram. Value?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkymike View Post
Those insulated cable clips were much used in the 50's. My father had a pack in the garage always to hand.
Mike.
They may be still available, I've not checked. I know I've still got a small stock of them somewhere.

I still think that you may have been on to something with your 'Alba' suggestion. I didn't think so at first, but on a second study of those other pictures I changed my mind. I've not done any research myself, but for anyone wanting to go further into it, it could be worth investigating whether Alba, or its parent company, made their own cabinets or had them made for them and whether any units were made to special order.

And, as regards to those 'borrowed' pictures that I posted, I ended up confusing myself with them when I stated that the left hand cupboard was for records, when of course I was thinking of the 'borrowed' pictures and not of the OP's pictures, which shows his unit has a cupboard only on the right hand side. This cupboard would have originally have been for records, as I'm pretty sure that the holes drilled are not original and were drilled for the wiring for later speakers that stood on the two shelves. It could even have been that the speakers had long enough leads that when the unit was in use, the speakers could be removed from the cupboard for placing in positions externally for proper stereo - and then put back on the shelves and the door closed when not in use.