View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2020, 6:51 am   #92
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Default Re: A phone too far ...?

The two resistors in phone A came about as a result of the experimentation before we established that socket A was a spurious master and replaced it with a slave. It had occurred to me ( honest ...! ) that that might be an issue now, but since we're deep into territory where the undergrowth is way over my head, I hadn't wanted to remove it without anyone more knowledgeable ( i.e., as it turns out, you, Dave ) suggesting that I should. I'll try replacing it with a strap as you suggest and report back the results.

By the by, I couldn't help but chuckle at 'if you wish it to ring', that being pretty much where we all came in!!

As regards teetoon's observations, this is the undergrowth I referred to earlier and is way above my pay grade; however, in light of the various twists and turns so far, it occurred to me that it might be worth re-stating the situation and the problem as it currently stands.

There are four phones which I've arbitrarily called A, B, C & D. They are all, I'm pretty sure, 782s. Phone C is plugged into a known master socket as pictured in post #88 ( not a great picture, I admit, but the best I could get due to the relative inaccessibility of the socket ). There is also a CD1000 scanner plugged into master socket C. Phones B and D are plugged into sockets which are inaccessible short of major furniture removal; I can tell you that these are decorative brass-finish sockets of the type which I believe can be bought ( or could be bought at the time ) from B & Q, but that's all I can categorically tell you. Phone A is the newest addition to the system ( by which I mean the most recently plugged in, rather than the newest of the phones; if anything, it probably is in fact the oldest of the phones ). It is plugged in to what we now know for sure is a slave socket, wired up by me in accordance with instructions in this thread.

Phone A has two 3.3k resistors in, as stated above, strapped according to instructions earlier in this thread before socket A was determined to be a spurious master and replaced with a known slave. Phones B, C & D all have one 3.3k resistor strapped according to instructions earlier in this thread; I believe, based on more knowledgeable observations also earlier in the thread, I can attest to the fact that the strapping is correct in B, C & D, including the recently-introduced resistor. All four phones have 2 x 500k electromagnets ( apologies if this is the wrong term: I'm sure you'll all know what I mean ).

With the system set up as described, the situation now ( pending my removing the second resistor from phone A as per Dave's suggestion in post #90 ) is that phones B, C & D ring as healthy as horses and phone A doesn't ring at all. Phone A has been tested in other sockets and rings normally in isolation.

I think that's a summary of all the salient facts, although as always, I am by no stretch of the imagination infallible, and if I've omitted anything, my apologies. Given that I do, very much, want phone A to ring, if anyone can shed any further light on the situation ( again, pending the removal of the second resistor from phone A ), or if anyone has any further thoughts on the wiring of the master socket ( socket C, if you like ) as pictured in post #88, all contributions more than welcome. I honestly don't think there's much else I can tell everyone, but if you need more information, by all means ask. To be honest, I would think that those of you who have been with this thread since the beginning probably know more about my phone system than I do by this point.

Thank you all for your indulgence; I'll report back on the removal of the second resistor from phone A in due course, and other than that, I'll watch with baited breath.