Octode

Default Re: Traders still in existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by John KC0G View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post

In 1969 we stayed at pokey Little B/B in Mount Pleasant, Liverpool run by a Mr Roberts for a week or so prior to moving to Formby. On walking down the hill towards town there was a tiny shop on the corner. It must have been physically very close to Milligan’s but I don’t think it was the same shop, in which case I am disappointed that I missed Milligan’s when it was so close! Perhaps it is just my memory........ Presumably Milligan’s is the shop mentioned in post #22.

Peter
I've just had a walk up Brownlow Hill thanks to Google Maps Streetview and other than the RC Cathedral recognise nothing, I then searched Google for Milligans and amazingly found this which I have attached, it's from,
'Livepool Picture book' on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/LiverpoolPi...7875773967336/

John
The picture may have come from post #11 at http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...seen-Liverpool The picture was dated September 1970. One can see that Milligan's were having a closing down sale due to demolition.

Enlarging it shows that the side street was Harford Street. Looking at a map of Liverpool from the 1950's at old-maps.co.uk, shows that Milligan's was at 37A Mount Pleasant, not on Brownlow Hill. The 37A in the picture was the address. Harford Street ran from Mount Pleasant through to Brownlow Hill. It no longer exists and has been replaced by the Mount Pleasant multi-storey car park.

Milligan's was on the north side of Mount Pleasant and almost exactly due north of the junction with Benson Street on the south side.

From post #22: "Another was a triangular shaped shop at the fork where Brownlow Hill meets Mount Pleasant." This is about 150 yards from 37A Mount Pleasant. The shape of the shop indicates that it was not Milligan's as it was in 1970.

73 John

Very well spotted John,

Both the Harford St sign and the street corner angles, it was definitely Milligans I went to and now I know it was in Mount Pleasant not Brownlow Hill, strange the same mistake is shown on the Facebook page.

John