View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2020, 5:25 pm   #85
Telephone Guy
Tetrode

Default Re: A phone too far ...?

The first experiment I've tried - because it's the simplest - is the last suggested, i.e. use a two-way adaptor to plug phone A in alongside one of the other phones. Phone A is still as last strapped, i.e. both of the two 3.3k resistors still in place as instructed, no straps between T6 / T7 or T8 / T9. All three of the other phones are also as last strapped, i.e. with one 3.3k resistor in each.

So I used the afore-mentioned two-way adaptor and plugged phone A in alongside phone B. I can't imagine it makes a difference, but to qualify that slightly: referring back to the inaccessibility of socket B, phone B is connected via a long extension lead which goes to the actual socket behind the TV unit. It so happens that there's a dual socket on the end of that lead, into which phone B is usually plugged; so, I've plugged phone A into the other half of the dual socket, alongside phone A.

To be honest, this has gone beyond the point where I knew what to expect, but what happened was that phone A didn't ring at all, phone B, alongside it, barely rang, and phones C and D rang normally ( for them ). I'm not sure whether I should have changed the strapping in phone A before trying this experiment ...? If so, let me know, and / or if the existing result reveals anything, also by all means let me know!

If - and there isn't a font big enough for that word in this context - it's possible for me ( or someone ) to get at the master socket ( currently where phone C is plugged in ), and if it turns out the orange wire isn't connected at that socket, is the solution as simple as connecting the orange wire? - Or is that just the wishful thinking of a desperate man?