View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2020, 11:12 pm   #1
clockman
Pentode

Default Ultra coronation twin R786 1953

This new post is to update the results on my work on the vintage valve radio i paid £30 for and not working. Work done! i have replaced the main electrolytic 50+50 Mfd with a direct replacement from China cost £9 and the small 50+50 Mfd Cap also C23 0.1Mfd 300v ac i replaced MR1 with HT diode type 1N5408 and a 5W 150 ohm resistor. This radio luckily has had no work done on it so all the parts are original and in good condition including the speaker and OP tx . i found the reason it was not working valve 3 1FD9 the B7G base was totally duff so i replaced it with a new McMurdo one and it sprung into life all the voltages are spot on as checked with my Avo 8 .I have made a replacement plug in mains lead with Standard 3 Pin plug with 3 Amp fuse having disabled the battery option This fits in the stowage compartment i cleaned the wave change switch with buds dipped in brasso and switch cleaner.The reception on LW&MW is excellent now and having putt it all back in its case i find a polish with beeswax brings up a lovely shine to the case. and it looks and sounds great in my lounge along side my clocks. PS the cost was small but the man hours were huge