View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2015, 2:37 pm   #72
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Restore a Beau Decca

That amp chassis looks to be in excellent condition, I’d go so far as saying that it’s unlikely to need any work doing whatsoever. For the perfectionist there may be one or two components that will be slightly out of tolerance due to age, but it probably wouldn’t be anything that you’d particularly notice and it’s probably a case of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”!

It has ECL86 valves, I was expecting the EL84 for some reason. I think you’ll be fine driving a speaker on each channel without any resistors as padding with this one, but still don’t run it flat out. While on the subject of powering the speakers, you did realise that you should NEVER power up a valve amplifier without a load, ie, a speaker) connected? If you haven’t had any speakers connected and you’ve only had it powered on the lamp limiter, then you’ve probably got away with it. If you give it full power without a load/speaker connected to each output, then you risk destroying the output transformers which, due to expense, would write the amplifier off totally. You didn’t mention anything about what you had connected to it, so I thought I’d better mention it, just in case.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but is that the amp you bought from a forum member? It certainly looks to be in good condition and is probably actually better than the Decca one that would have been fitted originally. As said, when you power it up fully, make sure it’s connected to speakers and switch it off after couple of minutes and feel those electrolytic cans for any slight signs of warming. Keep doing this a number of times just to be sure and also check for any other signs of distress, although I suspect that it’ll all be fine. I think you’ve fallen on your feet with this one and hopefully you won’t ever have to replace those 807 pre-amp valves!