View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2006, 9:49 pm   #91
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PC as a standard convertor

Hi Sean,

Well, the project still hasn't got a website; a certain someone has the attention-span of a goldfish when trying to write documentation and keeps going off at tangents and playing with other interesting techy things...

The basics though:
  • KnoppMyth is probably the simplest way to turn a PC into a PVR.
  • nVidia cards from GeForce 4 onwards should work - tested so far: GeForce 4 and FX5200
  • The nVidia driver provided with KnoppMyth needs replacing - the one it comes with doesn't do interlacing properly on the RGB output.

To begin with, get KnoppMyth installed and working with output displayed on the PC monitor first. Don't bother yet replacing the nVidia driver; stick with a default unmodified KnoppMyth installation. It's probably best to have a play around with it in this state. Once it's reached a point where you can play DVDs on it, watch TV, etc., then it's relatively straightforward to replace the nvidia driver and edit one configuration file and get 405-line video out.

You then need some sort of RGB combiner; my "MkII" is the only one which exists at present; it works but still doesn't work all that well. (Lousy sync signals resulting in line-pairing on my Pye monitor.) I know why; I've just not done anything about it nor started work on the MkIII which will have a PLL in it. I've also got an idea in my head for a "KISS" minimalist design; probably at most a handful of resistors and one solitary transistor.

Everything ends up taking longer than it should, though; the "being out of work" thing means lots of time; but means I often end up working on what I can afford to work on; not what I'd like to work on.

Cheers, Kat