View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2012, 12:06 am   #50
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Freeview box with a modulator

I bought a Ferguson F01SDBE from Comet today as it was the only one available from the local high street stores that has a modulator (necessary for the elderly Philips set that we have in our kitchen). A pity I didn't find this thread first.

While it works fine via the SCART, I can only endorse Tasman 1966's comments: the modulator [in this part of Essex anyway] is virtually unusable.

The problem is that, according to the manual, the modulator output is at a fixed frequency of 503.25 +- 1 MHz, ie approximately Channel 25 [502.25MHz Vision and 509.25MHz sound frequencies]. Unfortunately in this area, Channel 25 is now occupied by a digital multiplex at 506MHz. Co-channel interference is very apparent on all our analogue sets. The 25 year old Philips that I had bought it for, exhibits severe patterning on vision and no sound at all, a 15 year old Ferguson (Thompson) manages a clear picture, but very low hissy sound, while a Schneider (= Philips: a tri-standard GB PAL/ European PAL/ SECAM portable acquired from a relation in France) manages a good picture but quiet and disorted sound with noticable vision-related modulation hum on contrasty pictures and when reproducing the radio. It works much better if you don't fit the link between the RF out and the modulator in that the manual says must be fitted!

A definite no-no if Channel 25 is used in your area. Back to the shop it goes: I will try an Icecrypt T5000 as that seems to be the only other one that is readily available. I do still have a modulator that I bought in Jessops years ago for my camcorder that I could use but I don't want a jungle of boxes and wires.

On the other hand, no complaints about operation via the Scart. Set up was automatic and flawless, and the manual scan settings provide information on signal strength, frequencies, modulation type etc.

Re radioredcat's experience, my son's £20 supermarket STB bought over 3 years ago failed for the same reason after 6 months' use. Since replacing the capacitor and fuse it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Last edited by emeritus; 27th Feb 2012 at 12:10 am. Reason: typo correction