View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2016, 5:07 pm   #40
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Telegraph poles: historical data?

I was a Clerk in the Post Office Supplies Department, Boyle Street, Cheetham Hill, Manchester in 1969. It was really the HGV Depot and garage for local engineers work vans. Drivers were usually away all week. Museum.The supplies were cable and the like. It's still there as a Transport Museum and in fact, they gave an old TV set to a Forum member a few years ago as it didn't fit with their collection.

One of the HGV Drivers took part in an open entry GPO exam for a "post" as Tree Inspector. To our amazement, he got the job. The primary requirements were an ability in mental arithmetic and an interest in outdoor pursuits [he kept horses]. He was then in a senior, salaried Civil Service position. This was considered to be a very responsible role as collapsing telephone poles would be not be assett to the service and it was taken very seriously by the management. I think he had to visit Sweden three or four times a year to approve the quality of wood they bought in.

He wasn't as young as me but probaly only late twenties, very pleased to leave the lorry behind and be paid for the sort of thing he did in his free time. It was as if he had won the pools to his fellow workers. A lot of people had applied to do the exam so he had "climbed the greasy pole" to success! Anyone who held that position would be a mine of info. I recall being amazed when he described all the different technical aspects involved with T Poles but I can't recall any of it now. In fact, I'd thought the whole thing was a bit of a joke ..at first that is.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 9th Dec 2016 at 5:15 pm.