View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2016, 5:30 pm   #8
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: Marconi 2024 SGen SMPS faulty

Quote:
We have quite a few of these sig gens at work. There was a lot of them released by the government with ovened frequency standard, high power output (+23dBm) and fast pulse modulator options.
Yes, I bought three of them with this spec a few years ago. There was a chap in Leicester selling a lot of them really cheaply if you haggled hard enough. I kept one and sold the others on.

The one I kept only had 120hrs runtime and looks brand new inside and out.
These generators are normally quite reliable and we have loads of them at work. The ones that have failed were usually because someone picked it up by one of the plastic 'ear' handles. These break easily and the generator then hits the floor. So I've seen quite a few of them with broken handles at the front and signs of impact damage to the case and connectors. Sometimes the display fails and this may also be from dropping the sig gen. The front 'ear' handles are just plastic and they become weak and brittle with age.

I've got the service manual here and I may still have the contact details of the guy you need to phone in the states if you lose the level 2 password. The default is 123456 but if it gets changed by the user (and then forgotten) you have to phone the states and get the master override (also six digit) key so you can reset the level 2 password to a known number. This is what I had to do with mine and I've reset the password to the default 123456.