View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 6:12 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Fun with Z80 Assembler

I really started with the Z80, but was glad when I discovered the 6809 which I found a lot easier to design with and to program. The 6809 didn't have many of the 6502 dislikes metioned in the first post (it had 16 bit registers, 2 16 bit stack pointers, 'zero page' became direct page and you could set the top 8 bits of the address to anything you liked, etc)

On 6502/6800 systems it was not unheard-of to put a couple of I/O devices at the very start of memory (so they took part of page 0) as this meant you could use the shorter/faster page zero addressing mode to access them. Take a look at the HP9815 calculator, a 6800-based machine.

Anyway, as for the Z80, one thing I hated about it was the indexed addressing modes. To me it was plain 'wrong' for the 8 bit 'offset' to be fixed (one of the instruction bytes) and the 16 bit 'base' to be in a register.

There were a number of little-used features. The I/O instructions that used 'C' as the port address put 'B' on the upper 8 address lines, this meant you could easily have more than the normal 256 I/O ports. Similalrly during refresh time (when RFSH/ was asserted), the R register appeared on the bottom 8 address lines (and I never forgave them for only making that a 7 bit counter, the kludge to extend it to 8 bits was a mess) and I (interrupt vector) on the top 8 address lines. At least one of my designs, which didn't use vectored interrupts, used that as a memory paging register.

Of course there were also a number of undocumented instructions. In general anything that used 'H' or 'L' could be prefixed by 'DD' or 'FD' to use the appropriate half of IX or IY, for example.