Thread: Fire risk
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 8:33 pm   #28
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Fire risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Manton View Post
Many years ago, the wiring on my sister's hairdryer failed (spectacularly!) Due to repeated movement, the wiring fractured. This caused internal arcing which blew out a chunk of both inner and outer insulation, leaving a hole in the side of the cable and only the neutral wire attached, just where the cable exited the plug.
That happened to me once, with a fan heater. The heater drew enough current so that, once the conductor fractured, there was a sufficient internal arc to puncture the insulation and flash over live-neutral. There was a loud bang and the fuse blew - but not before a ball of molten copper shot out of the side of the cable.

I always use minimum-rated fuses in mains plugs. I leave quite a lot of equipment (VCR, DVD-recorder, radio alarm clock) permanently 'on'. As for vintage equipment - mains transformers do have the potential to die due to enamelled-wire breakdown, and if wax impregnated could catch fire. Luckily, I've only had 2 transformers do this, and I've been present each time, and not waited for the flames. Conversely, AC/DC equipment with a mains dropper does not have this mechanism to self-destruct under power, and so although running hotter, could also be said to be safer!