View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2019, 7:01 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Motorboating Ekco TMB272

Good afternoon,
I am in the process of restoring an Ekco TMB272 television. I have been replacing the wax capacitors one at a time and now have a good raster and linearity. Since I started this restoration I have always had motorboating which I thought might disappear when replacing the wax capacitors as all I have removed so far have all been very leaky on my megger. The beat of the motorboating increases when switched from television to radio. With the regular beating of the motorboating causes the raster to flash for approximately 1-2" of the scan.

I have checked the main electrolytic with the Peak ESR tester which shows that the capacity has not fallen off and the ESR is reasonable so I don't think it has dried out. I am at a bit of a loss as to what is causing the motorboating. I was thinking maybe the metal rectifier though if one or both started to fail wouldn't it cause hum instead of motorboating? Any pointers as to what to look for next?

Many thanks,
Christopher Capener