View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2019, 6:19 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default BS3693 Lettering Style on Meter Scales, Etc?

Hi!

I've just got my new copy of the Signalling Record Society's Quarterly Journal, and an article in this specifies that:-

"Lettering on Signal Identification Plates shall conform to BS 3693 Specification, 100 mm high"

. . now before anyone rants at me "what's Railway Signal plates got to do with this Forum?!", I shall add that BS 3693 is the Specification For Analogue Meter Scale Markings and Dials on Equipment, and a great many UK Manufacturers of T & M Equipment used BS 3693 lettering on their meter scale-plates, and this lettering is often engraved on control knobs as well.

(I have an AF Oscillator whose frequency control knob is engraved with it, and the Bradley 192 Oscilloscope Calibrator has it's meter engraved with it as well!)

Has anyone got a copy of the relavent BS 3693 pages they can scan the letter-forms from for me please?

BS 3693 lettering is very similar in style to 1940s-1960s Wireless World drawing lettering in appearance, but a bit wider and more square-ish in proportion.

I did try contacting Network Rail about it but they said they couldn't help, even tho' they use it all on their signal plates and signal-box track diagrams!

Chris Williams