View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 12:25 am   #76
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: 2019 Solihull TV Junk-Swap and Get-Together

Just to echo what everyone else has said, and thank you Mike for hosting this event once again. It was great fun as always.

I was the lucky(?) person who ended up with the GEC dual standard TV. Thanks Neil for donating the set and for explaining its history. Mike used to have one in his collection that worked very well. I didn't see it there this time - perhaps he's passed it on? I was quite pleased to get hold of another GEC. Back in the late 1980s I had the 19 inch version - I found it dumped on the street. The field output transformer had an open-circuit winding - I got it working by replacing it with one from a scrap Bush A774 also found dumped outside. (Those were the days, when old tellies littered the streets.) Sadly I had to dump the 19" GEC due to a house move. This 23" one makes up for my long-lost 19" one.

Despite John's valiant efforts, it's still not working fully. There was no sound on 405 when I got it home and tested it. I didn't test 625 sound, but the line hold was out of adjustment. Hopefully I can get it working better, as long as the tube holds out, after having been 'boosted' to within an inch of its life ...

I also came away with an unusual foreign set, a Unitra Neptun 171 monochrome portable TV made in Poland in the late 1980s ? I'll post another thread about it in due course. I'm also pleased that most of my 'junk' found new homes.

Meanwhile here are a couple of pictures of the GEC TV being worked on Mike's table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0662.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	183134   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0663.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	183135