Thread: Sinclair ZX81
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 2:28 pm   #61
Gulliver
Hexode

Default Re: Sinclair ZX81

For those interested in getting original hardware up and running....

ZX81's are a bit fickle about cassette players. Definitely use a mono one, any old "shoebox" recorder or walkman in working order should work however. You just need an EAR socket and a volume control. tone control can help, set to boost the treble.

As for RAM expansions, the original was prone to wobble of course. I tended to put Blu-Tak between my ZX81 and the RAM pack. Today there is a device on sale called "ZXPand" which has 32K RAM, SD card adaptor (for instant read/write of programs and data). I found that an old 16Mb SD card pretty much holds the entire ZX81 software library! ZXPand has an optional joystick interface and AY sound chip too.

While I love original hardware, LOADing 3D Monster Maze in 10 minutes from cassette is a bit of a chore when I can have it in under one second from an SD card, running on the original hardware.

Quite amazing that there is still new ZX81 software and hardware being produced, albeit very much cottage industry. Nothing like this exists for Commodore computers as far as I am aware.