View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 7:26 pm   #48
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Compressor purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I'm buying a compressor mainly the purpose of blowing out dust from sets. That may seem a tad extravagant, but other methods just don't have the brute power and effectiveness of compressed air. I've tried them all and I'm fed up of it (heavy dust deposits in hard to get at corners) being a perennial problem.
... As a counterpoint, I prefer sucking to blowing for getting crud out of equipment.

I frequently repair seriously dust encrusted power supplies. I used to blast them with the compressor at the place I used to work, but this can be a serious health hazard unless a mask is worn and IMHO not really something that should be done inside a workshop, or even by open doors and windows.

For my home workshop, I find a strong vacuum is better. The potentially harmful crud gets removed to a safe place instead of being blasted around the immediate environment. I have a selection of small soft brushes that enable me to dislodge the dust in inaccessible areas and use a powerful restricted nozzle vacuum to then remove it.

Last edited by evingar; 13th Feb 2018 at 7:31 pm.