View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2009, 7:39 pm   #22
G4XWDJim
Octode

Default Re: French polishing for beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
The point about these is that they are basically tinted aerosol lacquer (toned lacquer can be purchased in bulk). Their action is more like paint than stain, i.e. they tend not to soak into the wood grain but 'sit on top' and were used to make slightly differing veneers 'match' by obscuration!
Thanks Tony I did suspect toners sat on top of the grain.

I had an export GEC receiver with B7G valves so a latish model I guess that had a very glossy lacquer finish. The grain however was almost invisible being hidden by some sort of obscuring coat. A very good set with good bandspread but pretty boring looking.

I'm pleased to see that everyone on here likes shiny cabinets. Almost twenty years ago I entered my Ferguson 378 AC into Chas Miller's first concours event at Shifnal. I thought I'd made a beautiful job of the cabinet, admittedly not up to Col's standard and was quite annoyed when Gerry Wells called it a toffee apple. I didn't really expect to win but the winning set was grubby looking with a slack grill cloth. I've still got the Ferguson and still enjoy it.

Thanks all,

Jim