View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2011, 3:54 pm   #17
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Grid coupling Capacitor aka "That" cap.

The term "That Cap." confused me as well initially but reading about the fault sypmtoms it was associated with it did not take long to figure out what it meant.
I suppose it could relate to any old (or sometimes newer) capacitor of a type that we know is prone to failure which could make it confusing ie: which "that cap" are they on about, then "That Cap." would become meaningless unless referenced to a specific component number or specific part of the circuit it is located in.
I have used the term "That Cap." or "That Resistor" on odd occasions myself.
My own preference is its circuit description as there is no doubt as to its function, ...grid coupling capacitor, screen decoupling capacitor etc. especially when communicating by electronic media with someone unknown.
Knowing it's correct name helps those less in the know learn more by questioning it's specific duty in life and the reason why that type of particular component was fitted...grid coupling capacitor, screen decoupling capacitor etc.

Or was it "Boost Connie" or "Bypass Connie" Fropt, froptx or fropty, lopt, loptx or lopty, PCL85 or Puckle 85.

I'm confused now.

I guess it's "That Cap." for the initiated.
And grid coupling capacitor if you don't know what "That Cap." is.
I will use the circuit description more than saying "That Cap." most of the time.

Lawrence.