View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2004, 3:23 pm   #7
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Asbestos in DAC90

Quote:
Small quantities like this are not usually considered a health hazard unless handled carelessl
I have to agree, the name "asbestos" strikes fear into folk’s hearts these days, but I think it’s all about risk assessment. I have to confess that I have never been unduly worried about bits of asbestos in wireless sets. However, I was much more worried about old car brake linings because of the quantity of dust often found inside the assemblies. I was once in a workshop where a "numb skull" mechanic used an airline to "clean up" brake dust - I made an **extremely** quick exit! I believe these days’ brake linings no longer contain asbestos.

Don't for goodness quote me as an " expert " on this stuff, but my understanding is that different types of asbestos present vastly different risks. The worst types were ones used for insulating pipes and boiler installations. Often this was the so-called " blue” or Crocidolite asbestos, actually I think it is the form the stuff is presented in rather than the actual class of mineral that counts as far as risk is concerned. It's dangerous because of the fact that it is fibrous, and easily inhaled. I never seen any (thank god!) but I understand it has the consistency of the fibreglass-insulating material used in lofts today.

By contrast, asbestos cement is a mixture of Portland cement and a small quantity of asbestos, this is much less dangerous as the asbestos fibres are " bonded " by the cement, the material is hard. The stuff is still widely used as roofing (I don't know if it’s still actually being manufactured – probably not!). Somewhere in between (risk wise) is asbestos board, a bit like the gypsum board used today.

I am guessing that the majority of asbestos you will find in old wireless and TV sets is of the Portland type. I suppose though once it ages though it may "break down" (as mentioned in the post above) and present a higher risk.

I am quite “sensitive” about this as my Grandfather was a builder in the 30s and used the worst kinds of asbestos without any form of protection. He died in the early 70s of lung cancer at a relatively early age!

Chris

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 26th Dec 2004 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin