View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2004, 11:09 am   #6
ekco1953
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Asbestos in DAC90

Well, I bit the bullet .

Why I was concerned was that the asbestos was " fibrous " at the edges and the top part was sort of delaminating. To get the set going it was essential to replace a piece of paxolin and refit the connection at the top of the dropper.

I read Paul's post re varnish, which I don't think would stand the heat, however it got me thinking and I applied super glue all around the outside edge and at the delaminating part which I pressed back in place with a screwdriver. Not sure about the heat issue with super glue, but we'll see :. After that it just looked so much safer , and I went about the repair without too much concern.

I tend to agree with Bill about the small quantities and after some more web searching on white asbestos, I decided to go ahead. This was my PERSONAL solution and in no way do I recommend it as the way to go in general.

Sam, I can't really offer advice but since the case of the Pye is plastic I'd try Paul's suggestion of immersion in water (after removing the innards, of course : . This just might release the adhesion and allow safe removal.

I'm still interested to hear comments from others on the general subject. I'm off now to think about how to replace the top corner of the DAC90 back .

Thanks for replies.
Jim