View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2012, 10:33 pm   #56
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Freeview box with a modulator

Since my earlier post, the Panasonic TU-CT30 that I had been using took a turn for the worse. When I tried to re-tune in order to get channel 5+1 it crashed. It didn't like the multiplex that contained 5+1, Quest and all the new 'connect' services that don't do anything on normal Freeview boxes. I tried a factory reset but it just got stuck in an endless loop of scanning and crashing. The only way I got out of it was to unplug the aerial before it attempted to scan that multiplex, then plug it in after. It's not actually possible to see when to do this unless you use a SCART connection because the modulator is turned off during scanning. Afterwards it stores the remaining found channels in random order. These two problems make the box almost unusable.
Panasonic have informed me that this is due to out-of-date software in my box. If it had received the v0.41 software update broadcast in 2009, it would work correctly. Unfortunately this update will never be broadcast again. Lesson: if you find one of these secondhand and it has 0.38 or earlier, forget it.
My Goodmans GDR10 still worked fine. With this in mind, I visited a Sunday market at a West London tube station which shall remain nameless. Some of the traders there are a little less than honest. I picked up another GDR10 with the helpscheme universal remote control for 4 pounds. A bargain - until I got it home and it didn't work. I wasn't really surprised. The box powered up but produced no RF output on channel 68, just snow with a hum bar. I popped open the cover and immediately noticed a 470uF 10v "Chang" capacitor that was bulging. I replaced it with a 470uF 16v for good measure and it worked! Not sure for how long - the box is full of Chang capacitors. A sticker on the bottom says Tested 09/11 so it didn't last very long at all. I wonder if that was why Jeffrey's box didn't work too.
My 'new' GDR10 had some extra features. When I did a new channel installation it picked up all channels from London Crystal Palace and the BBC channels from Oxford (I'm halfway between both cities). It then asked me to choose which region I preferred - "Oxon & Bucks" or "London." Choosing the former placed BBC ONE Oxford at channel 1; the latter gave BBC ONE London the number one spot. It remembers your preference. This could be invaluable for those who pick up multiple TV regions. Another new option in the menu enables you to turn off the annoying re-tune messages.
I downloaded the instruction manual for the Goodmans GDR11 and the software seems identical to the 'new' GDR10 I got. I think they are both basically the same box. If you are looking for a new Freeview box with a modulator, it's worth considering. The menu and remote control is very easy to use - excellent on a black and white TV as there is plenty of contrast and it doesn't rely on the coloured remote control buttons for navigation. The stereo headphone socket is nice too. Only minor negative, the TV guide only shows one channel at a time and is a little slow to fill up.