View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2023, 12:50 pm   #60
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Winter Bulletin

Looking back over the four issues of 2022, (or indeed in any year come to that), I can't see a single article which I would class as repetitive or 'run of the mill'. Quite the contrary in fact. Many are really quite challenging, such as the final part of Gary Tempest's 3-part article on the total strip-down and rebuild of a Philips 753 motor-tuned radio.

I can only reiterate what I said in post 47 about the Winter edition, which had an eclectic range of articles on vintage radios, amplifiers, TVs and historic interest, all with first class diagrams and colour pictures, with the text and pictures well laid out. To touch on just four of the articles:

Ordinarily, I have no interest in TVs, but how could anyone not be impressed with Graham Goslings 13-page article, illustrated with 30 excellent pictures on the Philips G6 colour TV? At the outset he explains that the article is 'about the exposition of the G6 - not a blow by blow capacitor/resistor restoration'. How daunting that must have been for TV engineers who cut their teeth on B&W TVs? 21 valves, 17 transistors, 46 diodes, and 25,000V EHT.

That article evoked memories of the one-year Radio and TV night school course I did back in 1976, and the end of which the main lesson I learnt was: 'don't take the back off a TV or you might kill yourself'. I did not find the tutor's comments that: 'it's Volts that Jolts and Mils that Kills' at all reassuring. (Too young to die - tool old for nasty shocks!).

Another TV article was by Christopher Capener (forum member 'High Vacuum House'), on a projection TV.
As a professional electronics engineer working with EHT, that would have held no fears for Christopher.

A nine-page article on a 30-Watt 1960s amplifier with 30 excellent pictures.

A five-page article on the Ecko A22 by Roger Grant, with 19 excellent pictures, which included the creation of a new dial and casting replica knobs.

All in all, 58 pages of editorial.

I can't bring to mind any commercial or hobby society magazine which has so much editorial that comes even close to The Bulletin. The BVWS has come a long way from it's first Bulletin edition in July 1976:

https://www.bvws.org.uk/publications...volume1number1

Ironically, having had six articles published in the Bulletin in the past ten years or so, I've found the overall standard so high that I've self-censored several articles I might otherwise have written and submitted as I considered they might be a little too 'samey' and 'run of the mill'. Just as well that I did it seems. I'll hold that thought.