View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2022, 5:16 pm   #44
Valvepower
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Winter Bulletin

I also enjoyed reading the G6 article.

It was a bit of eureka moment seeing the picture of the Phillips G22K503 set at the top of page 45. I remember going round to play with a school friend after school back in 1970-71, he moved away in the summer 1971 when we both moved up to Senior School and I lost contact with him as he went to a different school some distance away.

His Mum and Dad had Colour TV and I clearly remember watching Scooby Doo, Whacky Races, Banana Splits and Lost in Space. His Dad was high flying sales chap and was able to buy gadgets like this TV for his family.

Every so often my mind wonders back, and I ponder what model of Colour TV it was… The only thing I could remember was the square transparent on-off (?) button on the front – well, I think it was the on-off button on the front? – anyway seeing the picture in the Bulletin it all came back… And yes, it must have been a Phillips G6.

Anyway, good days watching stuff like Scooby Doo on this TV after school some 53 years ago!

His elder brother had a guitar and a Linear 'cage' amplifier…. Anyway, I digress, as that’s whole different story!

Regards
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
I really enjoyed reading the article on the "low mileage, full provenance available" Philips G6 dual standard TV and it reminded me of when I encountered a few of these many years ago, plus a 22" single standard G6 (which was a frequent visitor to the workshop where I was employed for a couple of years in the 1971-73 period).

I thought it must have been based on a European CTV design, as I later worked on the Swedish made K70 hybrid chassis 25" sets (photo attached) - not for the faint hearted! It has the same general chassis layout as the K6 and G6.