Thread: Zx81
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2020, 6:56 pm   #265
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Zx81

Well, that's certainly not bad for a first attempt! Well done If the damaged pad was not connected to anything on its side of the board, don't worry too much about it. Just make sure that there is some solder on the side where it is connected to something. If any of the holes has lost its through-plating, be sure to solder the socket pin on both sides of the board so as to complete the circuit. Start by soldering just two opposite corners of the new socket, and double-check it is sitting level and the right way around (the "pin 1/pin 40" end will look different from the "pin 20/pin 21" end somehow, depending on the manufacturer) before continuing. Been there, done that, grown out of the T-shirt ..... If any more pads break off when soldering in the new socket, cut the track cleanly with a sharp knife blade to limit the damage, solder a single strand taken from some hookup wire to the end of the track and wrap it around the pin. Use long-nosed pliers to shape it. If you grip the wire between the track and the pin, the pliers should conduct some of the heat away so as not to melt the first joint undone. You probably won't need to do this, but forewarned is forearmed.

I've been thinking about getting a "proper" desoldering station, rather than ing about with de-solder braid, plunger pumps that need priming each time or even just deft flicks of the wrist. I mean, just because you can do a good job without an expensive, special tool is no good reason not to get one, is it?

EDIT: Oh, too late, I see! Never mind, it's a great job.