View Single Post
Old 8th May 2021, 9:39 am   #18
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Replacement 4 ohm speaker help please

Rog, the weakest link in the chain when it comes to listening sound will be the loudspeaker.

Your Hitachi music centre when first sold was well regarded and a cut above many others. Although we all have different opinions on how we like to hear sound, you will hear "warm," "bright" and so on, at the end of the day the tone controls can shape the sound. What is difficult is to make a poor loudspeaker sound natural.

Earlier the size of the speaker was highlighted and the reason for this is that all a loudspeaker has to do is move air. Low notes require a lot of air being moved. Small loudspeakers can be built to do this but that comes at price.

I can only find one review on the M20, which is on You Tube. Well words fail me.

The review quite clearly shows them to be, at the best, light in bass to which we are told, "don't worry" all you have to do is use them for a few days, years, well who knows but after that all will be well. The reviewer then offers a link to buy them. An independent review, not sure. Other reviews on Amazon and Richer Sounds you can take or leave them. I would leave them.

The Monacor I'm sure is a good loudspeaker and the technical detail should be sufficient to design a crossover to suit it and your tweeter but I don't have those skills. What I can tell you is how important it is to do that otherwise you will be disappointed. I also see that it has foam suspension, I would always go for rubber.

For my money, either follow up Nick's kind offer, review and buy S/H good quality speakers, increase your budget or for thirty notes buy the used Goodmans Havent speakers which at least come from the same stable, so to speak.

Chris