View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 8:20 am   #1
IvorBlister
Tetrode

Default Philips EL3542 tape recorder problem

I have a Philips EL3542 four track tape recorder dating from 1961 which after a few years of trouble free service has now developed an annoying noise through the speaker. This gets worse as the volume control is advanced. It is present in the stop position and in the playing position with or without tape.

Tape playback is still possible but the additional noise makes listening to a tape difficult. The best description I can think of at the moment is a cross between rustling a brown paper bag and the noise a coffee machine makes when heating milk with a steam pipe in Costa Coffee !!! (Other coffee shops are available !!)

I have cleaned the valve pins and all switches. Visually I can’t see anything bulging or getting hot. I have found a circuit diagram and intend to check voltages quoted over the next few days with Avo 7 or Avo 8. Valve line up EF86, ECC83, EF86, EZ80, EM81.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience of these tape recorders or could suggest a possible starting point or solution.

Many thanks in anticipation.
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	187130   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	187131   Click image for larger version